Place:Callaly and Yetlington, Northumberland, England

NameCallaly and Yetlington
Alt namesCallalysource: village in parish
Yetlingtonsource: village in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.379°N 1.915°W
Located inNorthumberland, England
See alsoWhittingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Rothbury Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1974
Callaly, Northumberland, Englandname of civil parish since 1955
Lorbottle, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish which it was absorbed in 1955
Alnwick District, Northumberland, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
source: Family History Library Catalog

Callaly and Yetlington are two small villages that made up one township and now make up one civil parish in Northumberland, England. They each have a one-sentence article in Wikipedia. Callaly is some 14.5 km (9.0 mi) to the west of Alnwick, Northumberland, England and the location of Callaly Castle.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Callaly and Yetlington from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"CALLALEY AND YETHINGTON, a township in Whittingham parish, Northumberland; 5 miles N by W of Rothbury. Acres: 3,970. Population: 261. Houses: 51. Callaley Hall is the seat of the Caverings; and includes some portions of an old castle. Callaley crag is crowned with remains of a Roman entrenchment.

Callaly and Yetlington was a township in the ancient parish of Whittingham and became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Rothbury Rural District. In 1955 the name of the civil parish was changed to Callaly and it continued to be in Rothbury Rural District until 1974. Also in 1955 Callally absorbed the neighbouring parish of Lorbottle which was abolished. In 1974 rural districts were abolished and Callaly became part of the Alnwick District until 2009 when Northumberland became a unitary authority.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.