Calhoun is a 5th-class city in McLean County, Kentucky, United States. The population was 836 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of McLean County. It is included in the Owensboro, Kentucky Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Present-day Calhoun was first known as Rhoadsville after the German-born Pennsylvanian Captain Henry Rhoads (1739–1809), who laid out the town from 1784 to 1785 near the Long Falls of the Green River. His brother Solomon then erected a fort to protect the settlers and the transit around the falls.
Around the time John Hanley acquired Rhoad's lands in a 1787 lawsuit, the site was renamed and was alternately known as Fort Vienna and Vienna Station. The post office established in 1849, however, was called Calhoon after Rep. John Calhoon of Kentucky and the town was chartered by the state assembly in 1852 under this new name. At some later point, presumably out of confusion with the more famous Senator and Vice President John Calhoun of South Carolina, the spelling of the town was changed.
In 1854, it beat out the settlement of Rumsey on the other side of the river to become the seat of the newly formed McLean County.