Place:Caddington, Bedfordshire, England

Watchers
NameCaddington
Alt namesCadendonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 29
TypeParish
Coordinates51.85°N 0.45°W
Located inBedfordshire, England
Also located inHertfordshire, England     ( - 1897)
Contained Places
Parish
Markyate ( - 1897 )
Woodside ( - 1892 )
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


Caddington is a large village and parish in Bedfordshire. Until 1897 the parish straddled Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire, with the western two thirds of the parish being in Hertfordshire and the eastern third (which included the parish church of All Saints) in Bedfordshire. The county boundary went right through the middle of Caddington village. There were several sizable hamlets in the parish, notably including Slip End, Aley Green, Woodside and part of Markyate. Since 1897 the parish has been entirely within Bedfordshire, although at the same time a small part of the parish's former territory was ceded to the new parish of Markyate created at that time. In the early 2000s the parish was split again, with the former hamlet of Slip End becoming a separate civil parish within Bedfordshire.

Research Tips