Butterwick is a village in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England in the parish of Foxholes (1.75 miles), near the village of Weaverthorpe (2 miles). Butterwick is a small village and only contains about 13 to 15 houses. It has a church dedicated to St Nicholas, and several farming families. The closest school is Weaverthorpe Primary about 1 mile away. It is approximately 9 miles from Driffield, 10 miles from Bridlington, 15 miles from Scarborough and 35 miles from York. There is a small farm shop that sells almost everything.
Historically, Butterwick was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Foxholes in the Dickering Wapentake. Butterwick was located in Driffield Urban District from 1894 until 1935. In 1935 the boundaries of the rural districts of Driffield, Norton and Sherburn were redrawn. Sherburn was abolished entirely and the civil parishes of Luttons Ambo, Helperthorpe, Weaverthorpe, Butterwick and Foxholes with Boythorpe (which are in a line from west to east) moved from Driffield to Norton. Compare the maps Ordnance Survey 1900 and Ordnance Survey 1944 below. In 1974 the whole of Norton Rural District was absorbed into the Ryedale District of North Yorkshire.
When the civil parishes of Butterwick and Foxholes with Boythorpe were transferred into Norton District, they were merged into one civil parish named Foxholes. With the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Norton Rural District was abolished and the municipal government of the area was taken over by the Ryedale District of North Yorkshire.