Burton-upon-Trent, also known as Burton-on-Trent or simply Burton, is a town on the River Trent which, since 1974, has been in East Staffordshire District in Staffordshire, England. In the UK census of 2001, it had a population of 43,784.
Burton is known for brewing. The town originally grew up around Burton Abbey. Burton Bridge was also the site of two battles, in 1322, when Edward II defeated the rebel Earl of Lancaster, and in 1643 when royalists captured the town during the First English Civil War. Sir William Paget (1506-1563) and his descendants were responsible for extending the manor house within the abbey grounds and facilitating the extension of the canal named the River Trent Navigation to Burton. Burton grew into a busy market town by the early modern period.
Burton was incorporated as a [[wikipedia:municipal borough|municipal borough in 1878. The incorporated area was split between the counties of Staffordshire and Derbyshire - the Local Government Act 1888 incorporated the entirety of the borough in Staffordshire, including the Derbyshire parishes of Stapenhill and Winshill. It became a county borough in 1901, having reached the 50,000 population required.
The town became entirely parished on 1 April 2003, when the parishes of Anglesey, Branston, Brizlincote, Burton, Horninglow & Eton, Shobnall, Stapenhill, and Winshill were created. Burton parish itself only covers the town centre, with the other parishes covering various suburbs. (References here are to modern parishes, although some of the names will go back to historical villages.)
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Burton upon Trent.