|Type||Chapelry, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Bishops Waltham Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located before 1834|
|Mainsbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located after 1834|
|South Stoneham Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Eastleigh District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bursledon is a village on the River Hamble in the Eastleigh District of Hampshire. Close to the city of Southampton, Bursledon has a railway station, a marina, dockyards and the Bursledon Windmill. Nearby villages include Swanwick, Hamble le Rice, Netley and Sarisbury Green in the parish of Sarisbury.
The village has close ties to the sea. The Elephant Boatyard located in Old Bursledon dates back centuries and is where Henry VIII's fleet was built. Submerged remnants of the fleet can be found in the River Hamble.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Bursledon.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Bursledon, Hampshire, England | Bishops Waltham Hundred, Hampshire, England | Mainsbridge Hundred, Hampshire, England | South Stoneham Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Eastleigh District, Hampshire, England