Burntwood is a town in Staffordshire, England, lying in the Cannock Chase area approximately 4 miles (6 km) west of Lichfield. The town had a population of 26,049 at the time of the 2011 census and forms part of Lichfield municipal district. The town is one of the largest urbanised parishes in England.
Samuel Johnson (1709-1794) opened an academy in nearby Edial in 1736. Burntwood expanded in the nineteenth century around the coal mining industry.
Until 1929 the official name of the civil parish was Burntwood, Edial and Woodhouses. References to this formal name have been redirected here, as have been the following areas of Burntwood: Boney-Hay, Chase Terrace, Chasetown, Gorstey Lea and Burntwood Green. (The first three of these places have articles in Wikipedia.) Nearby towns and villages are Brownhills, Cannock, Cannock Wood, Norton Canes, Gentleshaw, Hammerwich and Lichfield.
A 19th century description
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burntwood from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
"BURNTWOOD, a hamlet and a township-chapelry in St. Michael-Lichfield parish, Stafford[shire]. The hamlet lies 2 miles NNW of Hammerwich [railway] station, and 3½ W of Lichfield; and has a post office under Lichfield. The chapelry includes also the hamlets of Edial and Woodhouses, and was constituted in 1845. Rated property: £8,757. Population: 1,634. Houses: 330. The property is divided among a few. New coal mines were recently opened. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value: £300. Patron: the Vicar of St. Mary's. The church is good."
There are three articles on Burntwood in Volume 14 of The Victoria County History of Staffordshire (published 1990) as provided by the website British History Online. These articles discuss history, not the current state of affairs.