Place:Burnsall, West Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameBurnsall
Alt namesBrineshalesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 314
Brinshalesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 314
TypeVillage, Civil parish
Coordinates54.035°N 1.948°W
Located inWest Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inNorth Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
Yorkshire, England    
See alsoSkipton Rural, West Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which it was a part 1894-1974
Craven, North Yorkshire, Englandmunicipal district of which it has been a part since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Burnsall is a village and civil parish in the Craven district of North Yorkshire, England. It is situated on the River Wharfe in Wharfedale, with a five-arched bridge over which the Dalesway passes, and is in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It is 2 miles (3.2 km) south-east of Hebden, along a river path dated to Viking times. Although the 2001 census gave it a population of only 112, the village has a parish church, a chapel, a primary school (housed in the original grammar school building of 1602, which is a grade II listed building). The school building, like the much-photographed bridge (also grade II listed), is an early 17th-century legacy of William Craven of nearby Appletreewick.

St Wilfrid's Church (a grade I listed building) is almost entirely Perpendicular. Amongst its well-known internal features are an 11th-century font carved with bird and beasts, twelve Anglo-Saxon sculpture fragments and a 14th-century alabaster panel depicting the Adoration of the Magi. The church-yard, which has a number of interesting grave-stones, is entered from the main road by a large and well-kept lychgate.

The ancient parish of Burnsall occupied a large part of upper Wharfedale. It included the townships of Appletreewick, Bordley, Conistone with Kilnsey, Cracoe, Hartlington, Hetton, Rylstone and Thorpe, all of which became separate civil parishes in 1866. The parish was in Staincliffe Wapentake and in the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974, when it was transferred to North Yorkshire.

GENUKI provides a further description of Burnsall from a gazetteer of 1822.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Burnsall. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.