Burlington is a census-designated place (CDP) in Lawrence County, Ohio, United States. The population was 2,794 at the 2000 census. Burlington is a part of the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 288,649. The community is situated between the villages of South Point and Chesapeake. Its other neighbor is Huntington, West Virginia, which lies across the Ohio River; it is connected via the West Huntington Bridge. Burlington was once the leading community of Lawrence County, being the first county seat and the location of the county's first post office.
Beginning in 1817, Burlington was the first and previous county seat of Lawrence County, and its post office the only one in the county until 1821.
Burlington was named after Burlington, Vermont.
National Register of Historic Places
The Burlington 37 Cemetery, the Johnston, William C., House And General Store, and the Old Lawrence County Jail, all located in Burlington, are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as is the nearby Macedonia Church.