Place:Burlingham-St. Edmund, Norfolk, England

NameBurlingham-St. Edmund
Alt namesSouth Burlinghamsource: GENUKI
TypeParish (ancient)
Coordinates52.609°N 1.499°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoBlofield Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
Blofield Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Lingwood and Burlingham, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog

In 1935 Burlingham-St. Edmund, together with the other two "church" parishes that covered the town of Burlingham, was abolished and the land absorbed into the new civil parish of Lingwood and Burlingham.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burlingham-St. Edmund from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BURLINGHAM-ST. EDMUND, a parish in Blofield [registration] district, Norfolk; contiguous to Burlingham-St. Andrew. Post Town: Burlingham, under Norwich. Acres: 661. Real property: £1,820. Population: 85. Houses: 17. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Burlingham-St. Andrew, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is old but good."

Research Tips

  • GENUKI provides a list of references for Burlingham-St. Edmund. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.