Burley-in-Wharfedale, is a village in the county of West Yorkshire, England. Along with Menston, Burley is part of Wharfedale Ward in the metropolitan borough of the City of Bradford. It lies on the A65, approximately fourteen miles north-west of the centre of Leeds and nine miles north of Bradford. Burley is approximately 2.8 miles from the renowned spa town of Ilkley and 2 miles from the old market town of Otley. Burley has a railway station on the Wharfedale line, with direct trains to Leeds, Bradford and Ilkley. It has a population of 5,865.
The village is adjoined by Burley Woodhead, a small cluster of farms and homes at the foot of Burley Moor. Burley was an urban district until 1937 when it was absorbed by the larger Ilkley Urban District. In 1974 the whole area became part of Bradford Metropolitan District.
Originally a small agricultural community with likely Roman and Anglo-Saxon roots, Burley developed in the late 18th and 19th centuries into an industrial village with many residents employed at the cotton mills known as Greenholme Mills, which were powered from a fed from the River Wharfe.
The development of industrial and commercial centres in the nearby cities of Leeds and Bradford, combined with rail and bus links, prompted major changes to the village in the early 20th Century. Council housing was built in the 1920s and 1950s, as the village became a dormitory settlement for the two cities.
Developments in the second half of the twentieth century have seen Burley become a prosperous but socially diverse village. The village has a high percentage of elderly and retired people , as well as many young families attracted by job opportunities, local schools and new housing developments.
Whilst the cotton mill no longer operates, the village retains a range of local businesses.