Place:Burland, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameBurland
Alt namesBurland Lower Greensource: hamlet in parish
Burland Upper Greensource: hamlet in parish
Hollin Greensource: hamlet in parish
Stoneley Greensource: hamlet in parish
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.083°N 2.583°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoActon, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Burland is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, about 2½ miles west of Nantwich. The civil parish also includes the small settlements of Burland Lower Green, Burland Upper Green, Hollin Green and Stoneley Green, as well as parts of Gradeley Green and Swanley (which have been redirected to Baddiley). The eastern part of the village of Ravensmoor also falls within the civil parish (redirected to the parish of Baddiley). Hollin Green is a different place from Hollins Green which is near Warrington in the north of the county.

GENUKI provides the following information

Burland was a township in Acton ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Burland was St. Mary's in Acton. Burland also had a Primitive Methodist chapel built in 1833 and closed in 1965. (Registers 1826-37 can be seen on microfilm at the Cheshire Record Office.) In Ravensmoor there is a Wesleyan Methodist chapel built in 1878.

The population was 371 in 1801, 627 in 1851, 581 in 1901, 546 in 1951, and 582 in 2001.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Burland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.