|Name||Burgh next Aylsham|
|Alt names||Buc||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 187|
|Burc||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 187|
|Burgh||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 187|
|Burgh-next-Aylsham||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||South Erpingham Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Aylsham Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Burgh and Tuttington, Norfolk, England||civil parish into which it was merged n 1935|
|Broadland District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Burgh next Aylsham was an ancient parish and a civil parish in Norfolk, England until 1935. As its name suggests it was adjacent (to the west) to the town of Aylsham in mid-north Norfolk. In 1935 it merged with the neighbouring parish to the north, Tuttington, into the new civil parish of Burgh and Tuttington. In this Ordnance Survey map of 1944 the parish is named, simply, Tuttington.
The Place-Name "Burgh"
The parish church of Burgh next Aylsham is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and the parish church of Tuttington is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. This could lead to confusion with the ancient parish named Burgh-St. Peter in the South Norfolk District, and also with Burgh St. Margaret which was merged into Fleggburgh near Great Yarmouth in 1935 (Burgh St. Margaret was also known Burgh St. Margaret and St. Mary). The three parishes were in different parts of the county.
- GENUKI provides a long list of references for Burgh next Aylsham. Some of these lead to free online transcriptions of records.
Categories: Norfolk, England | Burgh next Aylsham, Norfolk, England | South Erpingham Hundred, Norfolk, England | Aylsham Rural, Norfolk, England | Burgh and Tuttington, Norfolk, England | Broadland District, Norfolk, England