Place:Burgh St. Margaret, Norfolk, England

NameBurgh St. Margaret
Alt namesBurcsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187
Burgh St Margaretsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187; Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 115
Burgh Saint Margaretsource: long form
Burhsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 187
Fleggburghsource: Gazetteer of Great Britain (1999) p 115
Burgh-St. Margaret and St. Marysource: A Vision of Britain through Time
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates52.667°N 1.626°E
Located inNorfolk, England     ( - 1935)
See alsoWest Flegg Hundred, Norfolk, Englandhundred in which it was located
East and West Flegg Rural, Norfolk, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1935
Fleggburgh, Norfolk, Englandparish into which it was absorbed in 1935
Great Yarmouth District, Norfolk, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names

NOTE: Norfolk has or has had four different places with "Burgh" in their name. The others are Burgh-St. Peter in the South Norfolk District, Burgh next Aylsham (now Burgh and Tuttingham) in the Broadland District, and Burgh Parva which is part of Melton Constable in the North Norfolk District. Care should be taken in selecting the correct place.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burgh St. Margaret from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BURGH-ST. MARGARET AND ST. MARY, a parish in Flegg [registration] district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 4¼ miles NE of Acle, and 7½ NW of Yarmouth [railway] station. It has a post office of the name of Burgh, under Norwich; and had formerly a market. Acres: 1,655. Real property: £4,110. Population: 554. Houses: 125. The property is much divided. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £424. Patron: the Rev. W. Lucas. The church of St. Margaret is good; and that of St. Mary is in ruins. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school," and charities £79."

Burgh St. Margaret was an ancient and civil parish until 1935 when it was absorbed into a new parish named Fleggburgh which also included the parishes of Billockby and Clippesby. Fleggburgh is in the Great Yarmouth District and is located between the town of Great Yarmouth and the village of Acle.

Research Tips