- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
NOTE: Norfolk has or has had four different places with "Burgh" in their name. The others are Burgh-St. Peter in the South Norfolk District, Burgh next Aylsham (since 1974 Burgh and Tuttingham) in the Broadland District, and Burgh Parva which is part of Melton Constable in the North Norfolk District. Care should be taken in selecting the correct place.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burgh St. Margaret from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BURGH-ST. MARGARET AND ST. MARY, a parish in Flegg [registration] district, Norfolk; near the river Bure, 4¼ miles NE of Acle, and 7½ NW of Yarmouth [railway] station. It has a post office of the name of Burgh, under Norwich; and had formerly a market. Acres: 1,655. Real property: £4,110. Population: 554. Houses: 125. The property is much divided. The living is a double rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value: £424. Patron: the Rev. W. Lucas. The church of St. Margaret is good; and that of St. Mary is in ruins. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school," and charities £79."
Burgh St. Margaret was an ancient and civil parish until 1935 when it was absorbed into a new parish named Fleggburgh which also included the parishes of Billockby and Clippesby. Fleggburgh is in the Great Yarmouth District and is located between the town of Great Yarmouth and the village of Acle.
- GENUKI refers the researcher to general references for Norfolk rather than a list for Burgh St. Margaret. Some of these entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Burgh St. Margaret, Norfolk, England | West Flegg Hundred, Norfolk, England | East and West Flegg Rural, Norfolk, England | Fleggburgh, Norfolk, England | Great Yarmouth District, Norfolk, England