|Alt names||Burcot||source: alternate spelling|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England|
|See also||Dorchester Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Dorchester on Thames, Oxfordshire, England||ancient parish in which it was a hamlet|
|Culham Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire, England||parish into which it was absorbed in 1932|
|South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Burcott is a hamlet in Oxfordshire, England on the east or north bank of the River Thames, in the civil parish of Clifton Hampden.
In the 17th century Burcott was an important transhipment point on the Thames. The river at that time had become almost unnavigable between Oxford and Burcott, so that goods for Oxford had to be unloaded at Burcott and taken on by road. This led in 1605 to the formation of the Oxford-Burcot Commission to improve navigation.
Burcott was a hamlet in the ancient parish of Dorchester on Thames. It became a small civil parish in 1866 and remained so until 1932 when it was absorbed into Clifton Hampden. From 1894 until 1932 it was part of Culham Rural District. The entire area has been part of the South Oxfordshire District since 1974. (Source:A Vision of Britain through Time)
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Burcott, Oxfordshire, England | Dorchester Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Dorchester on Thames, Oxfordshire, England | Culham Rural, Oxfordshire, England | Clifton Hampden, Oxfordshire, England | South Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England