|Alt names||Bulelege||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 112|
|Type||Hamlet, Civil parish|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Duchy of Lancaster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|East Dean and United Parishes Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district in which it was situated 1894-1935|
|Churcham, Gloucestershire, England||parish into which it was transferred in 1935|
|Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England||district municipality in which the area is now located|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bulley is a hamlet in Gloucestershire, England, almost 7 miles (11 km) west of the city of Gloucester and about 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the village of Churcham.
Bulley has had a long association with Churcham. When a parish school was founded for Churcham and Bulley in 1856 it was built at Bulley. Under the Local Government Act 1894 Bulley was made a separate civil parish, but in 1935 it was abolished and the area merged with that of Churcham.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- There is a brief reference to Bulley in the Victoria County History.
Categories: Gloucestershire, England | Duchy of Lancaster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Churcham, Gloucestershire, England | Bulley, Gloucestershire, England | East Dean and United Parishes Rural, Gloucestershire, England | Westbury-on-Severn Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Gloucestershire Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Forest of Dean (district), Gloucestershire, England