Place:Bugthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameBugthorpe
Alt namesBugthorpesource: from redirect
Buchetorpsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Bugetorpsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Bughetorpsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates54.001°N 0.83°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
See alsoBuckrose Wapentake, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandwapentake in which it was located
Pocklington Rural, East Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bugthorpe is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, about 12 miles (19 km) east of York and 17 miles (27 km) west of Driffield. The village is just south of the border with North Yorkshire. According to the 2011 UK census the civil parish had a population of 103, a decrease on the 2001 UK census figure of 122.

St Andrew's Church stands in the village and was designated in 1966 by English Heritage as a Grade I listed building. Low Hall is also a designated as a Grade II* listed building.

There are road links from the village to Skirpenbeck, Barthorpe Bottoms, Kirby Underdale, and the main A166 York to Bridlington road.

Bugthorpe was originally an ancient parish in Buckrose Wapentake in the East Riding of Yorkshire. In 1866 the status of civil parish was introduced and this was taken on by most ancient parishes and also by their subsidiary townships if they were of any size at all. In 1866 both Bugthorpe and its township of Stockton on the Forest (which was in the North Riding) became civil parishes. In 1894 Bugthorpe became part of the Pocklington Rural District of the East Riding while Stockton on the Forest became part of the Flaxton Rural District of the North Riding.

In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.


Research Tips

  • GENUKI on Bugthorpe. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
  • The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Bugthorpe provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time on Bugthorpe.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to three maps of the East Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
  • For a discussion of where to find Archive Offices in Yorkshire, see GENUKI.
  • Yorkshire has a large number of family history and genealogical societies. A list of the societies will be found on the Yorkshire, England page.