Place:Bucknell, Shropshire, England

Watchers
NameBucknell
Alt namesBucknallsource: mis-spelling
TypeParish
Coordinates52.36°N 2.95°W
Located inShropshire, England
Also located inHerefordshire, England    
See alsoWigmore Hundred, Herefordshire, Englandhundred which covered part of the parish
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bucknell is a village and civil parish in south Shropshire, England. The village lies on the River Redlake, within 660 yards (600 m) of the River Teme and close to the borders with Wales and Herefordshire. It is about 6 miles (9.7 km) east of Knighton in Radnorshire, Wales.

The name is derived from Old English and means "Bucca's hill" or "he-goats' hill".

The earliest of the existing buildings date back to the 17th century. The houses were built in a haphazard fashion near the river with easy access to water. The village depended on water from the river and wells until the 1920s when water was piped into the village from a spring above Chapel Lawn. The houses at the lower end of the village were very susceptible to flooding, and this hazard continued until the ford was walled up in the 1950s.

The Old School House was built in the 16th century: this part being the part of the building next to the river and provided education for those who could pay for it. The school remained until the present one was built in 1865. The Old School House then became a shop and bakers' before becoming a private dwelling. The front part of the building pre-dates the rear by around 200 years making it 13th/14th century. Whilst being restored it was found to have once existed as a ground-floor-only property with evidence of an open fire pit and an opening in the roof to allow the smoke to escape. This pre-dates the inglenook fireplace to the rear and was believed to have been a medieval great hall. The restoration completion date for the private dwelling was 1999. The land upon which the present school was built was given in 1865. The first schoolmaster appointed in 1867 to the new St Mary's National School was Mr Henry Evans, 24 years old.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bucknell from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BUCKNELL, a township and a parish in the [registration] district of Knighton; the former in the county of Salop [Shropshire]: the latter partly also in the county of Hereford. The township lies on the river Teme, adjacent to the Knighton railway, 4½ miles ENE of Knighton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leintwardine. Acres: 2,730. Real property: £5,914. Population: 622. Houses: 108. The parish includes also the township of Buckton and Coxall. Acres: 4,160. Real property, with Brampton-Brian and Pedwardine: £10,230. Population: 790. Houses: 139. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Buckton, in the diocese of Hereford. Value: £332. Patron: the Grocers' Company, London. The church is good. Charities, £18."

"Only the township of Buckton-and-Coxall is within Herefordshire, about one quarter of the parish." (Source: The Parish Registers of Herefordshire, J Harnden, 1987, ISBN 0 9512347 0 6)

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bucknell, Shropshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.