|Alt names||East Buckholt||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|West Buckholt||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Extra parochial area, Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Test Valley District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Buckholt is a hamlet and civil parish in the Test Valley District of Hampshire, close to the border with Wiltshire. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 17. The parish is about 10 miles (16 km) north of Romsey.
Buckholt became a civil parish in 1858. It was part of the Stockbridge Rural District from 1894 until 1932 and of the Romsey and Stockbridge Rural District from 1932 until 1974. It remains a civil parish within the Test Valley District.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Buckholt from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BUCKHOLT (East and West), an extra-parochial tract in Stockbridge [registration] district, Hants; on the verge of the county, on the Roman road from Winchester, 4 miles NNW of Dean [railway] station, and 5¾ SW by W of Stockbridge. Acres: 1,224. Population: 118. Houses: 5. Queenwood college is here.
Because it was an extra parochial area, the Victoria County History of Hampshire combines it in one article with the neighbouring parish of West Tytherley.
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 4, chapter on West Tytherley with Buckholt.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Buckholt, Hampshire, England | Thorngate Hundred, Hampshire, England | Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Romsey and Stockbridge Rural, Hampshire, England | Test Valley District, Hampshire, England