Place:Broxton, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameBroxton
Alt namesBrossesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 52
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates53.0833°N 2.7792°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoBroxton (hundred), Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was once situated
Great Boughton Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1837-1870
Chester Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1870-1937
West Cheshire Registration District, Cheshire, Englandregistration district of which it was part 1937-1974
Malpas Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1936
Tarvin Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district of which it was part 1936-1974
Chester City (borough), Cheshire, Englanddistrict in which it was located 1974-2009
Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, Englandunitary authority in which it is located since 2009
Malpas, Cheshire, Englandancient parish in which it was located
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Broxton is a village and civil parish which, since 2009, has been located in the unitary authority of Cheshire West and Chester and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The village is 11 miles south of Chester, and only 10 miles east of Wrexham in Wales. The civil parish also contains the small settlement of Meadow Bank. According to the 2001 Census it had a total population of 390.

Prior to 1866 Broxton was a township in the ancient parish of Malpas in the Broxton Hundred. It had a population of 275 in 1801, 513 in 1851, 543 in 1901, and 471 in 1951. (Source:GENUKI)

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Broxton, Cheshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.