|Alt names||Broughton-Pogis||source: Family History Library Catalog|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Oxfordshire, England (1870 - )|
|Also located in||Gloucestershire, England ( - 1870)|
|See also||Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which the parish was located|
|Bampton Hundred, Oxfordshire, England||hundred in which it was located after 1870|
|Witney Rural, Oxfordshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|West Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Broughton Poggs is now a small village in the civil parish of Filkins and Broughton Poggs in the district of West Oxfordshire in Oxfordshire, England. Broughton Poggs is 3 miles (5 km) southwest of Carterton.
Broughton Poggs was an ancient parish and became a civil parish in 1866. The parish included a detached part, Great Lemhill Farm, which was geographically in Gloucestershire. The farm was transferred to Gloucestershire by the Counties (Detached Parts) Act 1844, but remained in the parish until 1886, when it was transferred to the civil parish of Lechlade. The parish was within Witney Rural District. In 1954 the civil parish was merged with the parish of Filkins to form the civil parish of Filkins and Broughton Poggs, part of West Oxfordshire since 1974.
Northleach (1837 - 1870)
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county
- Ancestry.co.uk has recently added Gloucestershire Burials, 1813-1988; Confirmations, 1834-1913; Baptisms, 1813-1913; Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813; and Marriages and Banns, 1754-1938. (entry dated 1 Aug 2015)
Oxfordshire Research Tips
Categories: Oxfordshire, England | Broughton Poggs, Oxfordshire, England | Brightwells Barrow (hundred), Gloucestershire, England | Northleach Registration District, Gloucestershire, England | Bampton Hundred, Oxfordshire, England | Witney Rural, Oxfordshire, England | West Oxfordshire District, Oxfordshire, England