- source: Family History Library Catalog
CAUTION: Although this appears to be the only place in Oxfordshire named Broughton, the placename is used in many counties of England.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Broughton is a village and civil parish in northern Oxfordshire, England, about 2.5 miles (4 km) southwest of Banbury. The 2011 UK census recorded the parish's population as 286.
In the 17th century Broughton's agriculture was predominantly pasture for cattle and sheep, which has given to the parish such field names as Dairy Ground, Grazing Ground and New Close Pasture. Improved crop rotation in the agricultural revolution increased arable farming in the parish, with crops being diversified in the 18th century to include clover, flax, hops, sainfoin and woad. Some of these crops have given place names to the parish such as Sandfine Wood, Sandfine Road and Woadmill Farm. Woad was still grown in 1827, when it was used locally for dyeing wool.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Broughton, Oxfordshire.