Broomhaugh lies at the eastern edge of the village of Riding Mill. It consists of a mix of stone buildings dating back to the 16th and 17th centuries, an Edwardian terrace and two brick-built terraces linked to the development of the railway between Newcastle and Carlisle. The earlier buildings include a former farm house, farm buildings converted into houses and a Methodist chapel and manse. The majority of the housing is located on what local people refer to as "The Street", which runs down to a former ford across the river Tyne. The Street follows the line of a former drovers' road down which cattle were driven from Scotland to the market towns of northern England.
Broomhaugh was originally a township in the ancient parish of Bywell St. Andrew. It became a separate civil parish in 1866, but in 1955 it joined with the neighbouring civil parish of Riding to become the civil parish of Broomhaugh and Riding.