Brocton is a village in Chautauqua County, New York, United States. The name was derived by combining the names "Brockway" and "Minton", two prominent local families. The population was 1,486 at the 2010 census. Brocton is within the town of Portland.
The Lakeview Shock Incarceration Correctional Facility, a state prison, is located just north of the village limits.
The community was first settled in 1805 by Captain James Dunn. The village of Brocton was incorporated in 1894. Brocton used to be named "Salems Corners (Cross Roads)" after Salem, Massachusetts, but was later renamed "Brocton".
In 1913, to commemorate the town of Portland's Centennial, a green double-arch was erected over the town's main intersection. It is believed to be the only double-arch east of the Mississippi River. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
The St. Stephen's Hotel has been a fixture at the center of Brocton since the mid-1800s. It was bought and sold several times before becoming the River Bottom Inn and eventually succumbing to the hard economic times of the area. Recently (2012) local resident Al Seavy has bought it and has begun to return the St. Stephen's Hotel to its former glory.