Place:Brockhall, Northamptonshire, England

Watchers
NameBrockhall
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates52.253°N 1.079°W
Located inNorthamptonshire, England
See alsoDaventry Rural, Northamptonshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Daventry District, Northamptonshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog


the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Brockhall is a civil parish and village in the in the Daventry District in Northamptonshire, England. Brockhall, like many estate villages, is a small settlement that has developed around its eponymous hall. The village - "Brocole" in Old English, which means Badgers Hill - was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086.

Brockhall Hall was originally built by Edward Eyton who later in 1625 sold the house to Thomas Thornton of Newnham who was a lawyer and also the Recorder of Daventry. In 1634 Thomas Thornton bought Newnham manor from the Knightleys of Fawsley who had held it jointly with Badby manor since 1542. Mr Thornton supported Oliver Cromwell and was later pardoned by King Charles II.

Since the English Civil War, five Thorntons have held the position of High Sheriff of Northamptonshire. The first was John Thornton who assumed the post in 1672; the last was Colonel Thornton who held the position in 1946.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Brockhall, Northamptonshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.