- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: There is another hamlet named Broadwell in the Forest of Dean area of Gloucestershire. It is re-directed to Coleford.
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Broadwell is a village and civil parish in the English county of Gloucestershire. It is about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) north of Stow-on-the-Wold. In the 2001 United Kingdom census, the parish had a population of 384.
The Church of England parish church of Saint Paul was built in the 12th and 13th centuries and restored in the 1860s.
Since 1974 Broadwell has been in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire.
Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire (1837 - 1937)
North Cotswold (1937 - 2006)
Gloucestershire (2006 - )
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- Article on Broadwell from A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 6/Slaughter hundred] in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county