- source: Family History Library Catalog
NOTE: The Brinkburn townships and civil parishes have all been redirected here.
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Brinkburn is a parish in Northumberland, England. It is divided by the River Coquet.
- end of Wikipedia contribution
During the 19th century four parts of Brinkburn can be identified: Brinkburn Chapelry, Brinkburn High Ward, Brinkburn Low Ward and Brinkburn South Side. According to A Vision of Britain through Time Brinkburn Chapelry ceased to exist as a civil parish in 1866. The last three were townships which became civil parishes in 1866. It would appear from the Ordnance Survey map of 1900 (see below) that Brinkburn Chapelry became Brinkburn South Side in 1866, but this is not confirmed by A Vision of Britain through Time. Brinkburn South Side ceased to exist in 1889, but there is no indication of what happened to it. The Ordnance Survey map of 1900 has an unnamed parish to the south of Brinkburn High Ward and Brinkburn Low Ward, and the 1944 map has Brinkburn High Ward extending down to cover what was originally Brinkburn Chapelry.
In 1955 the two, three or four former parts were abolished and made into one civil parish that also included the civil parish of Raw located to the west.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Brinkburn from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BRINKBURN, a parochial chapelry, consisting of the townships of [Brinkburn] South-side, [Brinkburn] High Ward, and [Brinkburn] Low Ward, in Rothbury [registration] district, Northumberland; on the river Coquet, 4½ miles SE by E of Rothbury, and 7 WSW of Acklington [railway] station. Post Town: Long Framlington, under Morpeth. Acres: 3,378. Real property: £2,154, of which £500 are in iron-works. Population: 220. Houses: 43.
- "The manor belonged to a priory of Black canons, founded here, in the time of Henry I., by W. de Bertram, Lord of Mitford; was given, at the dissolution of monasteries, to the Earl of Warwick; and passed to the Cadogans. Ruins of the priory, including most of the walls of the church, still exist. The church is transitional Norman; cruciform, with low square tower; narrow, plain, and gloomy; an interesting relic of the age in which it was built. A branch of Watling street intersected the chapelry; and traces of a Roman station and bridge can still be seen. Some persons suppose Brinkburn to be the Brunanburch where Athelstane, in 938, defeated the Danes. Coal and lime abound."
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Brinkburn Priory.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.