Place:Brindley, Cheshire, England

Watchers
NameBrindley
Alt namesBrindley Leasource: from redirect
Ryders Banksource: from redirect
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates53.076°N 2.608°W
Located inCheshire, England
See alsoActon, Cheshire, Englandancient parish of which it was a township
Nantwich Hundred, Cheshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Nantwich Rural, Cheshire, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Crewe and Nantwich District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area 1974-2009
Cheshire East District, Cheshire, Englanddistrict municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009
source: Family History Library Catalog
the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia

Brindley is a village and civil parish in the unitary authority of Cheshire East and the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England. The village lies 3¾ miles to the west of Nantwich. The parish also includes the settlements of Brindley Lea, Ryders Bank and part of Radmore Green (redirected to the neighbouring parish of Spurstow), with a total 21st century population of a little under 150. Nearby villages include Burland, Haughton and Faddiley.

GENUKI provides the following information

Brindley was a township in Acton ancient parish in Nantwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866. The ancient parish church for the township of Brindley was St. Mary's in Acton. There was also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Brindley built 1873.

The parish population was 148 in 1801, 186 in 1851, 127 in 1901, 123 in 1951, and 134 in 2001.

Research Tips

  • The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
  • Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Brindley, Cheshire. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.