|Name||Burradon in Tyneside|
|Alt names||Brierdean||source: alternate name|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1974)|
|Also located in||Tyne and Wear, England (1974 - )|
|See also||Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Castle Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1912|
|Longbenton, Northumberland, England||urban district of which it was part 1912-1974|
|North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Burradon in Tyneside is a village which since 1974 has been in the metropolitan county of Tyne and Wear, England, to the north of Newcastle upon Tyne. It is adjacent to Camperdown and the two villages are closely linked. Camperdown was once known as Hazlerigge. Prior to 1974 it was a civil parish in Northumberland, England.
Between 1820 and 1828 a small coal pit was sunk and this marked the beginnings of the community as it is known today. From 1829–1858 the centre and culture of village life moved from the old medieval settlement surrounding the farm to the ever expanding colliery village of Camperdown.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Burradon in Tyneside from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BRIERDEAN, or Burradon, a township in Earsdon parish, Northumberland; on the Blyth railway, 5 miles NNW of North Shields. Acres: 535. Population: 507. Houses: 80. Coal and stone are worked. A fearful colliery disaster occurred here in March, 1860."
Burradon in Tyneside was a township in the ancient parish of Earsdon (near North Shields). It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1912 it was part of Tynemouth Rural District. In 1912 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the urban district of Longbenton. In 1974 this part of Northumberland became part of the district of North Tyneside within the county of Tyne and Wear.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Burradon in Tyneside, Northumberland, England | Earsdon (near North Shields), Northumberland, England | Castle Ward, Northumberland, England | Tynemouth Rural, Northumberland, England | Longbenton, Northumberland, England | North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear, England | Tyne and Wear, England