- source: Family History Library Catalog
An eastern suburb of Glasgow, Bridgeton (originally Bridgetown) developed after the Rutherglen Bridge was built in 1776. In 1814 the land to the south by the River Clyde became Glasgow Green, Europe's first public park. It was a nineteenth century an industrial suburb with textile, engineering, pottery and carpet manufacturing industries. In 1846 Bridgeton was incorporated into the city of Glasgow. Many of the industrial buildings were demolished in the 1960s and replaced by government-owned houseing developments. The Templeton Carpet Factory remains as the Templeton Business Centre.
Bridgeton was Registration District 644-3 from 1855-1874 and Registration District 644-1 from 1874-1900.
Refer to the Parish of Glasgow for references for parish records, vital records since 1855, and censuses, and to the parish of Gorbals (and also the parish of Govan) prior to 1846.