|Alt names||Matfield||source: village in parish|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Kent, England|
|See also||Brenchley and Horsmonden Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Twyford Hundred, Kent, England||ancient county division in which it was part located|
|Tonbridge Rural, Kent, England||rural district of which it was a part 1894-1974|
|Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, England||district municipality into which the parish was transferred in 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Brenchley is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England.
The name is historically derived from "Branca's Leigh". The parish is located 8 miles (13 km) east of Tunbridge Wells, and 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Paddock Wood, and includes the neighbouring village of Matfield.
According to the 2001 UK census, Brenchley parish had a population of 2,715. This had increased to 2,863 by the 2011 UK census.
Brenchley was an ancient parish partly in the Brenchley and Horsmonden Hundred and partly in the Twyford Hundred. Between 1894 and 1974 it was a civil parish in the Tonbridge Rural District.
- Kent County Council Archive, Local Studies and Museums Service. James Whatman Way, Maidstone, Kent ME14 1LQ. This incorporates the Centre for Kentish Studies in Maidstone and the East Kent Archives Centre near Dover.
- Canterbury Cathedral Archives see the Archives web pages on the Canterbury Catherdral site.
- For information on the area around the Medway Towns, have a look at Medway Council's CityArk site.
- Ordnance Survey Maps of England and Wales - Revised: Kent illustrates the parish boundaries of Kent when rural districts were still in existence and before Greater London came into being. The map publication year is 1931. An earlier map of 1900 may also be useful. The maps blow up to show all the parishes and many of the small villages and hamlets. Maps in this series are now downloadable for personal use.
- Steve Archer has produced a very useful round-up of the available census records for Kent - and where/from whom they are available.
- Registration Districts in Kent for the period 1837 to the present. By drilling down through the links you can follow any parish through the registration districts to which it was attached.
- Bishop's Transcripts for Kent parishes, 1558-1887, can be found on FamilySearch since February 2016
- The Kent Family History Society and the North West Kent Family History Society are the most dominant, but there are also
Categories: Kent, England | Brenchley, Kent, England | Brenchley and Horsmonden Hundred, Kent, England | Twyford Hundred, Kent, England | Tonbridge Rural, Kent, England | Tunbridge Wells District, Kent, England