Breightmet is a now neighbourhood of Bolton, in Greater Manchester, England. Until 1974 it was a township of the civil and ecclesiastical parish of Bolton-le-Moors in the Salford hundred of Lancashire. It lies 2 miles north east of Bolton and 4 miles north-west of Bury and covered 825 acres (3.34 km2) acres of hilly land. It was separated from Tonge with Haulgh by the River Irwell. Breightmet Hill, the highest point, rises to about 525 feet (160 m).
In 1837 Breightmet became part of the Bolton Poor Law Union which took responsibility for funding the Poor Law in that area. The township was a part of the Bolton Rural District from 1894 until 1898 and then incorporated into the borough of Bolton. Following the Local Government Act 1972, the County Borough of Bolton was abolished and Breightmet became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Bolton in Greater Manchester in 1974.
The manor originated as part of the Marsey fee and one ploughland was held by Augustin de Breightmet in the 12th century. By marriage one part descended to the Southworths of Samlesbury who held it until the 16th century. This portion was later owned by Gerards, Ainsworths, Banastres, Baguley and Parker families. The other part was held by the Hollands until they forfeited it in 1461 when it was granted to Lord Stanley and his son, Lord Strange, the Earls of Derby.
In the township there was a quarry and several collieries, including one accessing a seam of coal 3 yards (2.7 m) thick. There were handloom weavers producing quilts and counterpanes and two cotton mills and a bleachworks were built.