- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Branxton is a village and civil parish in northern
Northumberland, England. It lies about 3 miles (5 km) from the England-Scotland border and about 4 miles (6 km) from the Scottish border town of Coldstream, just off the A697 Newcastle-Edinburgh road. It had a population of 121 in the UK census of 2001, rising slightly to 123 at the 2011 UK census.
Branxton is very close to the site of the Battle of Flodden, fought on 9 September 1513 between Scotland and England, the latter prevailing. King James IV of Scotland was killed in this battle.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Branxton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BRANXTON, a parish in Glendale [registration] district, Northumberland; on the skirts of the Teviots and the river Till, 3 miles ESE of Cornhill [railway] station, and 9 NW by N of Wooler. Post Town, Etal, under Coldstream. Acres: 1,487. Real property: £2,392. Population: 255. Houses: 44. The property is divided between two. Here is the field of the battle of Flodden, fatal to James IV. of Scotland, fought in 1513. See Flodden. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham. Value: £234. Patrons: the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good. Stockdale, the poet, was a native."
Branxton was originally an ancient parish in the Glendale Ward of Northumberland. It had no chapelries or townships.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.