Place:Bransdale, North Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameBransdale
Alt namesBransdale West Side
Bransdale-West-Sidesource: Family History Library Catalog
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates54.353°N 1.037°W
Located inNorth Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
North Yorkshire, England     (1974 - )
See alsoKirkbymoorside Rural, North Riding of Yorkshire, Englandrural district of which the parish was a part 1894-1974
Ryedale District, North Yorkshire, Englanddistrict municipality in which it has been situated since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Bransdale is a valley running south through North Yorkshire, England, and part of the North York Moors National Park. Sandwiched between Bilsdale to the west and Farndale to the east, it is formed from the dales of Bransdale itself at the top of the valley, Sleightholmedale and Kirkdale. It carries a river called Hodge Beck en route from Cockayne to the River Dove from Farndale three miles south of Kirkbymoorside, which runs on into the Vale of Pickering and the River Rye.

Bransdale is also a civil parish in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire, England.

Bransdale is a civil parish created in 1934 from the three earlier parishes of Bransdale West Side (see below), Farndale Low Quarter and Farndale West Side.

Another description is provided by A Vision of Britain through Time (from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-1872))

"BRANSDALE, a mountain vale in [the North Riding of] Yorkshire. It commences at the S side of Bottom-Head mountain 7 miles SE by S of Stokesley; and extends 12 miles south-south-eastward to the southern vicinity of Kirkby Moorside."


Bransdale West Side

Prior to the nationwide municipal reorganization of 1974, Bransdale West Side was considered to be a civil parish in Kirkbymoorside Rural District. Historically, it was located in the ecclesiastical parish of Kirkdale in the Rydale Wapentake.

Bransdale West Side was abolished in 1934 and combined with the Farndale civil parishes in the locality to become a large civil parish of Bransdale.

Research Tips

This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bransdale. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.