Place:Brandesburton, East Riding of Yorkshire, England

Watchers
NameBrandesburton
Alt namesBortunsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Brantisburtonesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Brantisburtunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Branzbortunesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Burtunsource: Domesday Book (1985) p 305
Brandsburtonsource: common modern-day spelling
TypeInhabited place
Coordinates53.901°N 0.305°W
Located inEast Riding of Yorkshire, England     ( - 1974)
Also located inYorkshire, England    
Humberside, England     (1974 - 1996)
East Riding of Yorkshire, England     (1996 - )
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Brandesburton is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately west of Hornsea and north-east of the market town of Beverley.

The civil parish is formed by the village of Brandesburton and the hamlets of Burshill and Hempholme. According to the 2011 UK census, Brandesburton parish had a population of 1,522, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,348.

St Mary's Church, which is surrounded by its churchyard in the north-east corner of the village, is a large, mediaeval building, with tower, nave, aisles and chancel. It was largely built out of cobbles, but has an early brick clerestory and later south porch. Exhibiting some fragments of Norman work (including a priest's door), it principally dates from the 13th to the 15th centuries, and was thoroughly restored in 1892. Inside are two noteworthy brasses: on the south side of the chancel the fragments of a (rare) bracket-brass, and on the north side more substantial, full-size brasses to John St Quintin, a former Lord of the Manor, and his wife. The church has been designated a Grade I listed building.

Located on the village green is the Grade II listed market cross.


Brandesburton is now known for the Billabong Jet Ski centre which operates throughout the year, the Hainsworth Park Golf Club, The Burton Lodge Hotel and The Dacre Lakeside camping and Caravan Park, which make it a relatively popular holiday destination.

It is located off the A165 which used to pass through the village until the opening of a bypass of it, and neighbouring village Leven, in 1994. A railway station was proposed in 1901 as part of the North Holderness Light Railway between Beverley and North Frodingham, but the line was never built.

Remains of mammoths and prehistoric elephant tusks have been discovered near the village.

From the 1930s and into the Second World War RAF Catfoss was located just to the north-east of the village.

Research Tips


This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Brandesburton. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.