|Alt names||Biondene||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Brondene||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 122|
|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Hampshire, England|
|See also||Bishops Sutton Hundred, Hampshire, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1932|
|Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1932-1974|
|Winchester District, Hampshire, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bramdean is a village and civil parish in the Winchester District or City of Winchester of Hampshire. The village church is 12th century and is dedicated to St Simon and St Jude.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bramdean from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BRAMDEAN, a parish in Alresford [registration] district, Hants; 4 miles SSE of New Alresford [railway] station, and 8½ E by S of Winchester. It has a post office under Alresford. Acres: 1,204. Real property: £1,825. Population: 282. Houses: 55. The property is subdivided. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. A Roman pavement was found here, and is covered. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value: £201. Patron: the Lord Chancellor. The church is Norman, with an early English chancel; and has been restored."
- Victoria County History of Hampshire, volume 3, chapter on Bramdean.
- GENUKI has a list of archive holders in Hampshire including the Hampshire Record Office, various museums in Portsmouth and Southhampton, the Isle of Wight Record Office and Archives.
- The Hampshire Online Parish Clerk project has a large collection of transcriptions from Parish Registers across Hampshire.
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 together with tables listing the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered, along with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The three-storey City Museum in Winchester covers the Iron Age and Roman periods, the Middle Ages, and the Victorian period.
- Volumes in The Victoria County History Series are available for Hampshire through British History Online. There are three volumes and the county is covered by parishes within the old divisions of "hundreds".
- A collection of maps on the A Vision of Britain through Time website illustrating the English county of Hampshire over the period 1832-1932 (the last two are expandible):
- A group of maps of the post-1974 municipal districts or boroughs of Hampshire on Wikipedia Commons
Categories: Hampshire, England | Bramdean, Hampshire, England | Bishops Sutton Hundred, Hampshire, England | Alresford Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester Rural, Hampshire, England | Winchester District, Hampshire, England