Place:Bradwell-next-Coggeshall, Essex, England

Alt namesBradwell-Juxta-Coggeshallsource: GENUKI
TypeCivil parish
Coordinates51.878°N 0.6253°E
Located inEssex, England
See alsoBraintree Rural, Essex, Englandrural district in which it was located 1894-1974
Braintree (district), Essex, Englanddistrict municipality covering the area since 1974
source: Family History Library Catalog

Bradwell-next-Coggeshall was part of the Braintree Rural District from 1894 until 1974.

In 1949 it gained a sizeable portion of Pattiswick parish on the abolition of the latter. At the same time Great Coggeshall and Little Coggeshall merged to form the parish and town of Coggeshall. It is unknown if Bradwell-next-Coggeshall was also absorbed into the parish of Coggeshall. Since 1974 the area has been covered by the Braintree District in Essex.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bradwell-next-Coggeshall from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BRADWELL-NEXT-COGGESHALL, a parish in Braintree [registration] district, Essex; on the river Blackwater, 2 miles W of Coggeshall, and 4 E by S of Braintree [railway] station. Post Town: Coggeshall, under Kelvedon. Acres: 1,161. Real property: £2,058. Population: 273. Houses: 67. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Maxeys. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value: £258. Patron: M. P.Brunwin, Esq. The church contains monuments of the Maxeys; and is good. Charities, £25."

Research Tips