|Alt names||Elworth||source: hamlet in parish until 1936|
|Hollinsgreen||source: hamlet in parish|
|Lower Daleacre||source: hamlet in parish|
|Marsh Green in Bradwall||source: hamlet in parish until 1936|
|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Cheshire, England|
|See also||Sandbach, Cheshire, England||ancient parish of which it was a township|
|Northwich Hundred, Cheshire, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Congleton Rural, Cheshire, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1974|
|Congleton District, Cheshire, England||district municipality covering the area 1974-2009|
|Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England||district municipality and unitary authority covering the area since 2009|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bradwall is a small village and civil parish located since 2009 in the unitary authority of Cheshire East, about 2 mi (3.2 km) northwest of Sandbach in the ceremonial county of Cheshire, England, and about 20 mi (32 km) south of Manchester. According to the 2011 census, the population of the entire parish was 182. The area is predominantly agricultural, with no manufacturing or retail outlets.
The village is not mentioned in the 11th-century Domesday survey, but from the 13th century gained notability as the manorial estate of Richard de Bradwall and his successors, including the families of Venables, Berington and Oldfield. From the early 19th century, it became the seat of the Latham family of Bradwall who resided at Bradwall Hall until its demolition in the early 20th century.
The manufacturer of Foden Trucks and their award-winning Fodens Motor Works Band, were based in the village of Elworth in Bradwall parish until a significant boundary change in 1936 placed Elworth and Marsh Green in the adjacent parish of Sandbach. Further hamlets in the parish were Lower Daleacre and Hollinsgreen.
- GENUKI provides the following information
Bradwall was a township in Sandbach ancient parish in Northwich Hundred which became a civil parish in 1866.
The parish population was 252 in 1801, 291 in 1851, 924 in 1901, 223 in 1951, and 166 in 2001.
The ancient parish church for the township of Bradwall was St. Mary's in Sandbach. The district church for part of Bradwall from 1847 was St. Peter's in the village of Elworth. Within the village of Bradwall Wesleyan Chapel Methodist Church was the only place of worship since 1882; it closed in September 2013. Other churches within the parish were Mount Pleasant Primitive Methodist Chapel in Elworth founded 1861 and Elworth Methodist chapel built in 1912.
For more information, see the EN Wikipedia article Bradwall. A long article including a list of the owners of the manor (early) or Bradwall Hall (later).
- The GENUKI and UKBMD pages on Cheshire and its parishes point to many other sources of information on places within the county. The many small parishes and townships that existed before 1866 are treated individually as well as the larger towns and conurbations.
- A Vision of Britain through Time provides a series of maps from the Ordnance Survey illustrating the towns and villages of Cheshire and also the borders between parishes. The following group of maps provide views of the county at various dates, illustrating the changes in administrative structure.
- Cheshire Archives and Local Studies have organized a facility to compare 19th century maps (including tithe maps circa 1830) with modern Ordnance Survey maps. These are available for every civil parish. The detail is very magnified and it is difficult to read any placenames on the older maps. Cheshire Archives and Local Studies are the local keepers of historical material for the county.
Categories: Cheshire, England | Bradwall, Cheshire, England | Sandbach, Cheshire, England | Northwich Hundred, Cheshire, England | Congleton Rural, Cheshire, England | Congleton District, Cheshire, England | Cheshire East District, Cheshire, England