Place:Bradbourne, Derbyshire, England

Watchers
NameBradbourne
Alt namesBradbournesource: from redirect
Bradbornesource: 19th century spelling
Bradeburnesource: Domesday Book (1985) p 68
TypeParish (ancient), Civil parish
Coordinates53.067°N 1.667°W
Located inDerbyshire, England
See alsoAppletree Hundred, Derbyshire, Englandhundred in which it was located
Ashbourne Rural, Derbyshire, Englandrural district in which it was situated 1894-1974
Derbyshire Dales District, Derbyshire, Englandadministrative district covering the area since 1974
source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
source: Family History Library Catalog
the text in this section is based on an article in Wikipedia

Bradbourne is a village and civil parish which, since 1974, has been located in the Derbyshire Dales District of Derbyshire, England. The village is just outside the Peak District National Park, and is 5 miles north of Ashbourne.

According to the 2001 UK census the parish had a population of 116, increasing marginally to 117 at the 2011 UK census.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bradbourne from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BRADBOURNE, a township in Ashborne [registration] district, and a parish in Ashborne and Bakewell [registration] districts, Derby[shire]. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 5 miles NNE of Ashborne [railway] station. Real property: £2,733. Population: 144. Houses: 28.
"The parish contains also the townships of Brassington, Ballidon, and Aldwark, the hamlet of Lea-Hall, and the chapelry of Atlow; and its Post Town is Brassington, under Wirksworth. Acres: 6,253. Real property: £13,699. Population: 1,187. Houses: 248. The property is subdivided. Bradbourne Hall is a chief residence. Tissington Hall is the seat of Sir William Fitzherbert, Bart. Limestone is abundant. Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage, united with the [perpetual] curacy of Ballidon, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value: £119. Patron: the Duke of Devonshire. The church has a Norman tower, and is good. The chapelries of Brassington and Atlow are separate benefices. Charities, £21."

Bradbourne was originally an ancient parish in the Appletree Hundred and the Wirksworth Hundred of Derbyshire, England. As an ancient parish it had several subsidiary chapelries and townships, namely: Aldwark, Atlow, Ballidon, Brassington, Lea Hall and Tissington.

Bradbourne was made a civil parish in 1866 and in 1894 it became part of Ashbourne Rural District. Since 1974 it has been in the non-metropolitan Derbyshire Dales District.

Research Tips

  • British History Online (Victoria County Histories) does not appear to cover Derbyshire geographically. A History of the County of Derby: Volume 2, edited by William Page is a part-volume covering the religious houses of the county. No further volumes have been found.
  • GENUKI main page for Derbyshire which provides information on various topics covering the whole of the county, and also a link to a list of parishes. Under each parish there is a list of the settlements within it and brief description of each. This is a list of pre-1834 ancient or ecclesiastical parishes but there are suggestions as to how to find parishes set up since then. GENUKI provides references to other organizations who hold genealogical information for the local area. There is no guarantee that the website has been kept up to date and therefore the reader should check additional sources if possible.
  • The FamilyTree Wiki has a series of pages similar to those provided by GENUKI which may have been prepared at a later date and from more recent data. The wiki has a link to English Jurisdictions 1851 which gives the registration district and wapentake for each parish, together with statistics from the 1851 census for the area.
  • A Vision of Britain through Time, Derbyshire, section "Units and Statistics" leads to analyses of population and organization of the county from about 1800 through 1974. There are pages available for all civil parishes, municipal boroughs and other administrative divisions. Descriptions provided are usually based on a gazetteer of 1870-72 which often provides brief notes on the economic basis of the settlement and significant occurences through its history.
  • These two maps indicate the boundaries between parishes, etc., but for a more detailed view of a specific area try a map from this selection. The oldest series are very clear at the third magnification offered. Comparing the map details with the GENUKI details for the same area is well worthwhile.