|Type||Parish (ancient), Civil parish|
|Located in||Norfolk, England ( - 1935)|
|See also||Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England||hundred in which it was located|
|Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England||rural district in which it was located 1894-1935|
|Costessey, Norfolk, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1935|
|South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England||district municipality covering the area since 1974|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
Bowthorpe was an ancient parish in Norfolk and also a civil parish until 1935 when it was absorbed into the neighbouring parish of Costessey. Wikipedia describes the housing estate which is the modern Bowthorpe, a western suburb of Norwich.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bowthorpe from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BOWTHORPE, a parish in Forehoe [registration] district, Norfolk; on the river Yare, 3 ½ miles W of Norwich. Post Town: Colney, under Norwich. Acres: 645. Population: 21. Houses: 4. The living is a donative, annexed to the vicarage of Earlham, in the diocese of Norwich. The church was desecrated in the 17th century."
- GENUKI provides a list of references for Bowthorpe. Some entries lead to free online transcriptions of registers and censuses.
- GENUKI also advises that the following lists for Norfolk are to be found in FamilySearch:
- England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1510-1997
- England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812
- England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941
- England, Norfolk Marriage Bonds, 1557-1915
- England, Norfolk Non-conformist Records, 1613-1901
Categories: Norfolk, England | Bowthorpe, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Hundred, Norfolk, England | Forehoe Rural, Norfolk, England | Costessey, Norfolk, England | South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England