|Alt names||Bortune||source: Domesday Book (1985) p 111|
|Located in||Gloucestershire, England|
|See also||Westminster (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Tewkesbury (hundred), Gloucestershire, England||hundred in which part of the parish was located|
|Campden Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1935|
|North Cotswold Rural, Gloucestershire, England||rural district of which it was part 1935-1974|
|Cotswold (district), Gloucestershire, England||district municipality in which it has been located since 1974|
- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bourton-on-the-Hill is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District of Gloucestershire, England, located about 2 miles (3 km) west of Moreton-in-Marsh. In 2010 it had an estimated population of 288. The village overlooks the surrounding hills of the Cotswolds and lies on the Heart of England Way, which heads southwards to Bourton-on-the-Water and northwards to Cannock Chase. The village is also connected by a footpath to the Cotswold Way, via Blockley and Chipping Campden.
Bourton-on-the-Hill is home to many beautiful buildings including the Grade I listed St. Lawrence's Church; Slatters Cottage, a stone cottage dating back to the 17th century; Horseshoe Cottage, a 3-storey stone cottage dating back to the 1750s; and a public house, the Horse and Groom, which is consistently rated among the finest of its type in the Cotswolds.
Bourton-on-the-Hill was in Campden Rural District from 1894 until 1935 when the rural district was broken up and the majority of it (including Batsford) was transferred to the newly-formed and larger North Cotswold Rural District.
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire from the website British History Online. The history of the the upper divisions of Tewkesbury and Westminster hundreds, all in the eastern part of the county.
- The Victoria History of Gloucestershire from the website British History Online. Histories of the parishes of the lower divisions of the hundreds of Tewkesbury and Westminster. The volumes includes an account of the borough of Tewkesbury.
Online sources which may also be helpful:
- GENUKI gives pointers to other archive sources as well as providing some details on each parish in the county. The emphasis here is on ecclesiastical parishes (useful before 1837)
- A listing of all the Registration Districts in England and Wales since their introduction in 1837 and tables of the parishes that were part of each district and the time period covered with detailed notes on changes of parish name, mergers, etc. Do respect the copyright on this material.
- The FamilySearch Wiki for Gloucestershire provides a similar but not identical series of webpages to that provided by GENUKI
- A Vision of Britain through Time has a group of pages of statistical facts for almost every parish in the county
- Unfortunately, A History of the County of Gloucester in the Victoria County History series provided by the website British History Online does not cover this part of the county