Bothal is a village in Northumberland, in England. It is situated between Morpeth and Ashington. There is a castle, a church, a vicarage opposite the church gates, some stepping stones over the River Wansbeck, and a few houses.
Bothal was the headquarters of the extensive Welbeck Estates in Northumberland. Half a mile upstream of the castle are the remains of a watermill that still had a working waterwheel up to about the First World War. It had a turbine for electricity production for the mill house from 1947 to 1980.
Bothal was also a drift mine ('Bothal Barns Drift') though this is something of a misnomer. Bothal Drift was merely another entrance to the Ashington colliery. Now, Bothal Barns Drift is the site of a private house with the old entrance to the drift mine being long disused. The Bothal Drift is situated on the top of the bank on the Ashington side.
Further west (a few hundred yards) from the church and castle, it is possible to walk along the river Wansbeck for some 30–45 minutes west towards Morpeth. The name Morpeth apparently means 'murder path' and the path was once the main thoroughfare along the river. Further along the footpath is the remains of an old chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bothal from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
Bothal was an ancient parish in the Morpeth Ward which also became a civil parish in the 19th century. In 1866 the civil parish was merged with the township of Bothal Demesne which was absorbed into the village and civil parish of Ashington in two stages in 1896 and 1935.
Townships in parish