Bordley was historically part of the township of Hetton with Bordley in the ancient parish of Burnsall in the West Riding of Yorkshire. In the late 19th century it became a separate township, and it became a separate civil parish in 1866. It was transferred to the new county of North Yorkshire in 1974. The civil parish was abolished in 2012 and amalgamated with the parish of Hetton to form the new civil parish of Hetton-cum-Bordley.
GENUKI provides a short description of Bordley from 19th century gazetteers.
The Malhamdale Local History Group provides all sorts of local information on the parish online. Included are parish records of births, marriages and deaths pre-1837, the 1881 census, maps and much more.