Boothferry is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire in England. It is situated on the north bank of the River Ouse where the A614 road crosses the river. It is about 2 miles (3.2 km) north-west of Goole.
Boothferry is home to Boothferry Bridge which was the first physical crossing of the Ouse (if travelling inland). It was very heavily used by vehicles travelling between the north and south banks of the Humber before the opening of the M62 motorway in the mid-1970s and the Humber Bridge in 1981. The M62 now crosses the Ouse on a viaduct approximately one mile downstream (east) of the old bridge.
From 1894 until 1974, Asselby was located in Howden Rural District.
The Humberide Era
Boothferry gave its name to the Boothferry borough of Humberside, England from 1974 to 1996.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.