It was the location of a water tank used during the era of steam power on the railways, Construction of the tank began in 1896 and had a capacity of five and a quarter million gallons.
The townsite was gazetted in 1898. It was named by C.C. Hunt in 1865.
It is in the area of the Boorabbin National Park, and Boorabbin Rocks.