- source: Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the following text is based on an article in Wikipedia
Bolton upon Dearne is a small village in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, in the Dearne Valley. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is approximately seven miles east of Barnsley, ten miles west of Doncaster and eight miles north of Rotherham.
Bolton upon Dearne was an ancient parish. It was recorded in the Domesday Book as being under the Manor of Bolton-upon-Dearne with Goldthorpe, which was once owned by Roger de Busli.
In the early 18th century Barnsley attorney William Henry Marsden, Esquire, of nearby Burntwood Hall bought the Lord of the Manor of Bolton on Dearne with Goldthorpe for £10,000 together with over 1,000 acres (4 km²) of land. Bolton upon Dearne along with Goldthorpe is recorded in the 1761–1767 Inclosure Awards. The Marsden family continued to hold the Manor until 1815.
In 1894 Bolton upon Dearne became part of Doncaster Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894. In 1899 it became a separate urban district in its own right. Bolton upon Dearne Urban District was abolished in 1937 under a County Review Order, becoming part of a large Dearne Urban District, along with Thurnscoe and part of Barnburgh parish. Due to the alterations to its local government status over the years since 1899, when the nationwide reorganization of local government came along in 1974, Bolton upon Dearne became a part of Barnsley rather than a part of Doncaster.
Bolton upon Dearne was an ecclesiastical parish in the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill.
- GENUKI on Bolton upon Dearne. The GENUKI page gives numerous references to local bodies providing genealogical assistance.
- The FamilySearch wiki on the ecclesiastical parish of Bolton upon Dearne provides a list of useful resources for the local area.
- A Vision of Britain through Time on Bolton upon Dearne.
- A Vision of Britain through Time also provides links to four maps of the West Riding, produced by the United Kingdom Ordnance Survey, illustrating the boundaries between the civil parishes and the rural districts at various dates. These maps all blow up to a scale that will illustrate small villages and large farms or estates.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1888. The "Sanitary Districts (which preceded the rural districts) for the whole of the West Riding.
- Ordnance Survey West Riding South 1900. The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (the southern part of Bradford, the southern part of Leeds, the southern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the southern part of Selby, Goole Rural District, and all the divisions of Halifax, Huddersfield, Wakefield, Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham and Sheffield)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding North 1900 The rural and urban districts, not long after their introduction. (rural districts of Sedbergh, Settle, Skipton, Pateley Bridge, Ripon, Knaresborough, Great Ouseburn, Clitheroe, Wharfedale, Wetherby, York, Bishopthorpe, Keighley, the northern part of Bradford, the northern part of Leeds, the northern part of Hunslet Urban District, the northern part of Tadcaster Rural District, the northern part of Selby Rural District)
- Ordnance Survey West Riding 1944. The urban and rural districts of the whole of the West Riding after the revisions of 1935.
Help fund new features!