Bolton is a village in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated approximately 11 miles (18 km) to the east of the City of York and 3 miles (4.8 km) north-west of the town of Pocklington. Together with Fangfoss it now forms the civil parish of Fangfoss with Bolton.
Historically, Bolton was in the ecclesiastical parish of Bishop Wilton in the wapentake of Harthill. From 1894 until 1974, Bolton was located in Pocklington Rural District--from 1894 until 1935 as an independent civil parish, and from 1935 until 1974 as part of the parish of Bishop Wilton.
In 1974 most of what had been the East Riding of Yorkshire was joined with the northern part of Lincolnshire to became a new English county named Humberside. The urban and rural districts of the former counties were abolished and Humberside was divided into non-metropolitan districts. The new organization did not meet with the pleasure of the local citizenry and Humberside was wound up in 1996. The area north of the River Humber was separated into two "unitary authorities"—Kingston-upon-Hull covering the former City of Hull and its closest environs, and the less urban section which, once again, named itself the East Riding of Yorkshire.