Place:Bolton, Northumberland, England

Watchers
NameBolton
TypeTownship, Civil parish
Coordinates55.417°N 1.834°W
Located inNorthumberland, England     ( - 1955)
See alsoEdlingham, Northumberland, Englandancient parish in which it was a township
Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, Englandancient county division in which it was located
Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, Englandrural district of which it was part 1894-1955
Hedgeley, Northumberland, Englandcivil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955
source: Family History Library Catalog


the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia

Bolton is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is situated on the north side of the River Aln, about two miles (3 km) east by north from Whittingham, and miles west from Alnwick. It has a chapel and a small number of residential properties.

A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bolton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:

"BOLTON, a township in Edlingham parish, Northumberland; on the river Alne, 4 miles NW of Alnwick. Acres, 2,048. Pop., 151. Houses, 31. The Earl of Surrey mustered his forces here before the battle of Flodden. An hospital was founded here, before 1225, by Robert de Roos; and became the property of the Collingwoods. Some remains of antiquity have been found. The township forms a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Edlingham."

Bolton was a township in the ancient parish of Edlingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Hedgeley.

Research Tips

  • Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The original content was at Bolton, Northumberland. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with WeRelate, the content of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.