|Type||Township, Civil parish|
|Located in||Northumberland, England ( - 1955)|
|See also||Edlingham, Northumberland, England||ancient parish in which it was a township|
|Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England||ancient county division in which it was located|
|Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England||rural district of which it was part 1894-1955|
|Hedgeley, Northumberland, England||civil parish into which it was absorbed in 1955|
- source: Family History Library Catalog
- the text in this section is copied from an article in Wikipedia
Bolton is a small village in Northumberland, England. It is situated on the north side of the River Aln, about two miles (3 km) east by north from Whittingham, and miles west from Alnwick. It has a chapel and a small number of residential properties.
A Vision of Britain through Time provides the following description of Bolton from John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales of 1870-72:
- "BOLTON, a township in Edlingham parish, Northumberland; on the river Alne, 4 miles NW of Alnwick. Acres, 2,048. Pop., 151. Houses, 31. The Earl of Surrey mustered his forces here before the battle of Flodden. An hospital was founded here, before 1225, by Robert de Roos; and became the property of the Collingwoods. Some remains of antiquity have been found. The township forms a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Edlingham."
Bolton was a township in the ancient parish of Edlingham. It became a separate civil parish in 1866. From 1894 until 1955 it was part of Alnwick Rural District. In 1955 the civil parish was abolished and the area was absorbed into the parish of Hedgeley.
- Northumberland Archives previously known as Northumberland Collections Service and Northumberland County Record Office. Now based within Woodhorn Museum in Ashington and providing free access to numerous records for local and family historians alike.
- Full postal address: Museum and Northumberland Archives, Queen Elizabeth II Country Park, Ashington, Northumberland, NE63 9YF; Phone: 01670 624455
- There is a branch office in Berwick upon Tweed.
Categories: Northumberland, England | Bolton, Northumberland, England | Edlingham, Northumberland, England | Coquetdale Ward, Northumberland, England | Alnwick Rural, Northumberland, England | Hedgeley, Northumberland, England