Bolton is a village and civil parish in the Eden District of Cumbria, England, about north west of Appleby-in-Westmorland, and on the River Eden. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 416. Anthony Salvin designed Crossrigg Hall.
"Bolton was variously written in ancient times; as Boelthun, Boeltun, Bovelthun, Botheltun: From all which may be conjectured that it received its name from the owner, Bothel, Bovel, Boel, or the like. Bovel, and Bolt, are names yet in use in Westmorland."
From Nicolson and Burn: The history and antiquities of the counties of Westmorland and Cumberland. 1777.
Returns survive for the 'census' of 1787 and are held at the Kendal Record Office of Cumbria Archives Service. The Record Office reference is WQ/SP/C. They are transcribed in Vital Statistics published by Curwen Archives Trust 1992. ISBN 1897590008. The for Bolton are transcribed on EdenLinks.
Census returns are available from the usual sources for 1841-1911.
Transcript and index for 1851 has been published by the Family History Society and also in 'North Westmorland - An Index to the 1851 Census' compiled by David Lowis and Barbara Slack.