Bole is a village and civil parish in the Bassetlaw district of Nottinghamshire, England. It is close by the River Trent, on the eastern side of which is Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. At one time the village stood – like the neighbouring parish of West Burton – very near to an oxbow lake, known as Bole Round. However flooding led to the original course of the River Trent being diverted after 1792. The parish now lies within a landscape largely dominated by the West Burton power stations. According to the 2001 census Bole had a population of 140.
The parish church of St Martin was extensively rebuilt in 1866 by James Fowler. In former times the village has also had shops, public houses and a post office. St Martin's church has three bells. The treble (1st bell) is 4 cwt and was cast by Henry II Oldfield in 1611, the second bell 4.5cwt and is dated 1500 and cast by John Seliok. The tenor (3rd bell) is 5 cwt and cast by Henry II Oldfield in 1611. The bells are hung in a wooden frame and are unringable because of the frame and fittings. In 2013 Kane Marsh, a bell ringer in the North Notts District was trying to get the bells restored and in the November an inspection was carried out by Whitechapel bell founders for a quote. The church is one of the churches in the Clays Group of churches which neighboring villages are also part of. It currently has one vicar for all five churches.
The original church was mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. From an early date the vicarage was in the patronage of the prebendary of Bole, being until 1841 part of the Peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean and chapter of York. During the early 19th century the manor of Bole or Bolum was held by Lord Wenlock. However in 1858 the Bole estate was transferred to the use of Lord Middleton, head of the Willoughby family from Wollaton Hall.
The old National school was built in 1859 but closed during the early 1950s. It now serves as the village hall. A small Wesleyan chapel was also closed during the early 1960s, being sold and converted for residential use.
There was a windmill located close to the Gainsborough road. Manor Farm, a listed building next to Bole Church, includes earlier portions dating from c1675.
A former teenage resident of the village was Henrietta Stockdale, later to become distinguished as a pioneer of nursing and nursing registration in South Africa. Her father became vicar of the parish in 1858, establishing the parochial school and also building the old vicarage (now known as Bole House), where the family was finally able to move in 1864. Bole had previously not had a resident priest for more than two hundred years.